“Improving the prospects of children and young people through educational opportunities”
John Lyon’s Foundation consists of Harrow School (the original school), John Lyon School (established in 1876 as a day school to provide education for boys from the local community in accordance with the Founder’s intention) and John Lyon’s Charity. It is governed by the Keepers and Governors of the Free Grammar School of John Lyon, the corporation that was established by the 1572 charter.
For over 400 years, the income from the estate in Maida Vale went to the various authorities that were responsible for the upkeep of the two roads. In 1991, the Charity Commission scheme came into effect, giving the Governors discretion to apply the income for charitable purposes for the benefit of the inhabitants of the boroughs of Barnet, Brent, Camden, Ealing, Hammersmith & Fulham, Harrow, Kensington & Chelsea and the Cities of London and Westminster – the boroughs served by the two roads. Since 1991, over £100 million has been awarded to support projects that work with children and young people in the nine boroughs.
Today, the Foundation exists to fulfil John Lyon’s vision of educational opportunity but now does this on a scale and in ways of which he could barely have dreamt. The aims are:
The Philanthropy Committee members are drawn from John Lyon’s Charity, John Lyon School and Harrow School, who are collectively John Lyon’s Foundation. The CEO, Harrow Head Master, John Lyon Head, Grants Director and Managers along with boys from John Lyon and Harrow Schools sit on the Committee.
The Committee meets termly and has four key objectives:
For further information about the Philanthropy Committee, please contact John Lyon’s Charity on firstname.lastname@example.org.